Deceased members noted with *
1. : BonnieYates, 1958, Female
|1. : Brenda Young 1951 female
2. : firstname.lastname@example.org . no.
3. : Emphysema
4. : 49
5. : 49
6. : was admitted to hospital with severe chest infection
7. : ??
8. : lung function tests
9. : clinic at local hospital and hospital consultant . no I do not feel I received sufficient information
10. : no
11. : Seretide 250, atrovent 20mcg, bricanyl 0.5
12. : n/a
13. : uniphyllin 200mg x2, co-amilofruse 5/40 x2
14. : n/a
15. : not any more
16. : n/a
17. : no
18. : no
19. : no
20. : sleeplessness, swollen ankles, incontinence (self catheterise) night sweats and rapid heart beats
21. : no
22. : yes
23. : no
24. : no
25. : yes anytime
26. : feel very frightened at the lack of assistance here in England
27. : former
28. : only gentle as I have back injury
29. : cannot remember think it was amphicillin ??
30. : no although mother had it
Back to Profiles
1. Mary Young*, 1934, F
2. Colorado, email@example.com
3. Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma
4. Chronic Bronchitis - about age 36. Asthma age 61. Emphysema - was told
by the Dr. who told me I had chronic bronchitis
at age 36 when I said "I was afraid I might have emphysema", he said, "of course you do, it is just a matter of degree. Anyone who has smoked as long as you has it." Wise man, dumb listener!
5. For the E - at age 58 had some SOB, and at 59 started on over-the counter inhaler on an as-needed basis - not frequent.
6. Felt punk for about a week, doing a lot of power sleeping, Then one day I could not breathe. My son put me on his O2 and I went to Doctor.
8. Don't know names of the tests.
9. The tests were done by the Pulmonary unit at Parkview Hospital. Results given to my Dr. - not me. Because of the lack of communication to me by my Dr. and to the hospital by my Dr., I left him - and NO he did not give me sufficient info for anything.
11. Flovent 220 mcg - 2 puffs 2xday can increase to 4 puffs when needed.
Serevent 25 mcg - 2 puffs 2xday.
Albuterol 17 gm - 2 puffs before exercise or every 6 hrs when wheezing.
Atrovent 14g - 2 puffs 4xday. (Only use when real bad because this gives me headaches.)
12. Have not been on others.
13. Guaifenesin 200 mg - 3xday when needed to loosen congestion.
Prednisone - 10 mg once every other day.
Rhinocort 7g. - 1 spray each nostril daily (rarely use)
15. No - have bad side effects. Use Kava-Kava when something is needed for anxiety (not often).
16. Anxiety meds give me very BAD short term memory problems.
When I use all four inhalers, I get headaches that last for days.
When I used Flonase, that made headache situation worse and gave me nosebleeds.
17. None. I am in process of getting that scheduled at my request.
19. 24/7 - 2 1/2 LPM. LOX supplied by Lincare.
20. Intolerance to heat and extreme cold. Love to be outdoors on a calm day that is below 75 degrees, and warmer than 55. Bleeding under skin (purple spots) from inhalers - long before I had to take Prednisone.
21. No. To ill to work.
22. Was - Now on retirement as I have passed my 65th birthday.
23. Medicare AND private insurance (not medi-gap).
26. Take the following not prescribed items to keep me healthy:
Multivitamin for adults 50+ 1xday.
MSM 100 mg 3xday.
Ginko biloba 40 mg 1 every other day on the day I am not taking Prednisone. If I am off Prednisone, I take one a day.
This is as good a blood thinner as aspirin, and helps the poor circulation in my feet. Don't have to wear socks to bed anymore.
(DO NOT take if on any type of blood thinner, and I consider Prednisone to be a thinner.)
Evening Primrose Oil 500 mg - 3xday, as substitute for Estrogen therapy, which I have bad reactions to.
Vitamin C 1000 mg 1/day
Magnesium oxide 250 mg one twice a week.
Doctors in this area treat you as if you are dying, and some will flat out tell you you are. My reply to that is, "You are too, Dr., and it will be interesting to see if you beat me by getting hit by a Mack truck!"
27. Former - 41 years.
28. Some on exercise bike, and do most of my own housework - can't vacuum any more. Do some gardening (minimal) Have two dogs - let dog in, let dog out, change guard, other dog in, other dog out, all day long. Am scheduling rehab, and will learn what is needed there. Asked my MD about heart rate and exercise bike. His comment? " Why are you riding an exercise bike? You'll not build up any stamina doing that!" If looks could kill, we wouldn't have needed a Mack truck!
29. It's been so long since I've had one, don't remember.
Back to Profiles
|1. Richard Young, 1934, male
2. Alexander, Ar. firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Emphysema and chronic bronchitis
5. Emphysema symptoms first appeared @55
6. Hospital x-room
7. Not referred to a pulmonologist, not treated properly, visited by a [pulmonary rehab worker in hospital room and suggested I see a
8. Don't recall
9. Dr. Sydney Hayes (female) did an excellent job informing that despite my denial, I was permanently disabled. I denied this for three years and
continued working until Dec.22, 1998. When I left the hospital after 15 days with 24/7 o2, I quit smoking and retired Mar. 1, 1999 at age 65.
(S.S. denied my retirement before that time as I was in business for mysedlf the last 22 years.
10. No--trial and error
11. Combevent-14.7 grams (also use albuterol and atrovent in updraft)
12. All effective
13. Verapamil-180, soma-350, Theodura-450 (I hate it and would like some feed-back from others about quitting it), Cardua-1, WELLBUTRIN (thank you
Lord), 1 asperin, 800mm ibuprofen, have to take "pregnantzone" three or four times a year and I hate it but I have to breath.
14. No answer
16. I have occassional psychosis and cannot control anger at those I love
17. Yes. Pulmonary rehab is a great benefit. Now have treadmill at home. I will begin either pulmonary ro cardiac rehab Mon, Jul. 19, 1999, for
six weeks and then to Barnes Jewish South to see Dr. Cooper for lvrs.
19. Yes. Only occassionally.
20. Intolerance to heat and cold. Impotence. Sleeplessness (am being to sleep apnia lab next week)
22. Not qualified for S.S. disabuility although classed as disabled by my Dr
23. Medicare. Am dependent on Wife's Hmo (which is refusing to pay for lvrs) Medicare will not pay--HELP
24. See above
25. Very assuredly! Directly at emury1, or EFFORTS
26. I need all the info I can get
27. Smoker? Yes, Smoke? NO! 50 years, longest without before 6 wks after bypass--got rehooked on Nicoret. Thanks for Wellbutrin
29. Bactrin (sulfamethoxazole)--Although did not respond to much of anything in late Dec and early January. Deathly allergic to the Floxins
Back to Profiles
1. : Barbara Yunker
|1. : Kathy Yurcak,
2. : Ohio, email@example.com
3. : Emphysema
4. : 47
5. : 46
6. : shortness of breath
7. : found one on my own
8. : CT scan & spirometry
9. : Pulmonologist, yes
10. : no
11. : Spiriva 1 x daily, Advair 2 x daily, Combivent 4 x daily as needed
12. : Albuterol
13. : None
14. : N/A
15. : No
16. : None so far
17. : Pulmonary Rehab @ Samaritan Hospital, Upper body strengthening, treadmill, nustep
18. : Yes, Xopenex
19. : Yes, 2L as needed during exercise and on bad days
20. : None I feel are unusual
21. : Unemployed
22. : Full disability
23. : Medicaid
24. : No, interested in the VENT procedure
25. : Yes, via email
26. : Spiriva definately helps a lot, as well as exercise and eating smaller meals.
27. : Former
28. : Yes
29. : Don't remember
30. : Yes, levels were within normal range
Back to Profiles
1. Rhoda Zander*, born 1931, Female 2. New Mexico Rhozan@Webtv.net 2a. no 3. Emphysema 4. 49 5. 48 6. collapsed lung 7. no 8. X-rays 9. technicians 10. no 11. albuterol-2 puffs every 4 hrs. azmacort-3 puffs 4 times a day atrovent-2 puffs every 4 hrs 12. alupent 13. Theo-dur 300mg 2 times a day 14. none 15. hydroxyzineHCL 25mg once a day 16. yes- allergic to all "cillins" 17. Lung Gym- monitored exercises with weights and stationary bike. 18. yes, when needed - albuterol 19. yes -3 liters/24 hours 20. stress incontinence 21. no 22. on full disability until 1996 when I reached age 65. 23. on Medicare and Medicad 24. no 25. definitely - any time. 26. 27. yes - former -3+packs a day - stopped 7/2/79 28. not as much as I should 29. Erythromycin - only one I am not Allergic to
1. : Dotti Zarza
|1.......Kathy Zimoski, born 1946, Female
2.......Virginia, email Woody11055@aol.com
6.......Almost passed out at work, was dehydrated and anorexic
7.......Not at first, requested I get referral from PCP
8.......PFT's, oximeter test for oxygen levels
9.......Nurses & technicians in Dr. office
11.....Azmacort--------20 gr. 4 puffs 2 x's a day
Atrovent-----------14 gr. 2 puffs 4 x's a day
Albuteral.........17 gr. As needed
13.......Singulair 10 mg. Once a day
Pravachol 20 mg. Once a day
Premarin .625 mg Once a day
2 week prednisone taper about every 5 months
Vitamin C 1000 mg 1 a day
Vitamin E 1000 I.U. Usp 1 a day
Multivitamin with calcium, iron & zinc 1 a day
17.......Not yet, expect to after Oct. 6 dr. visit
20.......intolerance to heat & cold, incontinence,
sleeplessness, leg & hand cramps
21.......laid off, seeking work
23.......New ins. on Oct 1, 1998 BC/BS, excellent coverage,
also Champus as a secondary ins.
26.......Always thought this would happen to the "guy" next
door, but am so glad I found & joined EFFORTS, what
a great organization and also the best folks in the world.
28........Yes, limited right now
29........Fortunately have not needed any antibiotics in the last 2 years.
Back to Profiles
1. Jo Ann Zimpfer -F- June 14, 1935
2. Ocala, FL firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Asthmatic, Chronic Bronchitis, & Emphysema.
4. 62 years old
5. 55 years old
6. Refused to continue prescribing cough medicine with codeine.
8. Breathing tests, Upper GI, Bronchoscopy, CT Scan, Chest X-rays,
9. Pulmonary Specialist
11. Albuteryl, AZMACORT, and Serevent - 2 puffs two times a day.
12. Have not decided.
13. Doxazosin MESY 8 MG
15. PROZAC 20 + 10 mg
17. PULMONARY REHAB
20. NO - TAKING RESTERIL 30 MGS
22. NO 23.MEDICARE + BLUECROSS
27. YES - 44 YEARS